March 26, 2016

Luxman RX-103 Receiver

                           Luxman RX-103 receiver


                                      Something to Smile about.


The RX receiver line was a bold departure from the more traditional, sedate, Luxman designs with predominantly champagne color schemes. Luxman's designers had been following a gently artistic retro feel for the range of its components, and this fit nicely in the high end audio salons where Luxman could only be found. It had long established a distinguished reputation for quality in sound, quality in construction, and aesthetically pleasing consistent designs.

Then Luxman seems to have found some balls when designing the RX line, and altered course to embrace the burgeoning "yuppy" market.  Boldly adopting a more glamorous, modernistic appearance, the look of the 80's. The  RX line left a long established design tradition of conservatively elegant though bland designs. Released  exclusively to the American market in 1982 and only to higher-end audio salons, it's modernistic even flashy features were met with mixed emotion. Traditional Luxman aficionado's were concerned that significant changes in appearance could signal unwelcome changes in sound and quality.  I would agree that the RX series did adjust the punch (attack) a little, thus accommodating New Wave's theme. But considerable heritage remained in its Duo-Beta genes. Panache did not compromise sound or build quality.

Luxman RX-103
What distinguishes the RX line visually from Luxman's preceding distinguished model "R" line including...
R-1120 @120watts/ch
R-1070 @75 watts/ch
R-1050 @55 watts/ch
and later distinguished models...
R117 @160 watts/ch
R115 @70 watts/ch
...was the brushed aluminum "suck face" servo controlled front panel, and the eye candy controls.  The RX series was Luxman's first foray into LCD displays for wattage meters and tuners.  Luxman had emphasized a tradition of classic simplicity for a lifetime. Now it was showcasing new technologies, embracing change, and this terrified it's more traditional high end clientele whose maxim in life seemed to be "boring is good."  But, new-traditionalists took to Luxman's face-lift gladly.   The RX line was a hit!

Oooh!  Pretty pretty lights!
I too was impressed with the large, colorfully illumined rectangular buttons when the RX line appeared.  Pretty pretty!  Regrettably I could not afford an RX component at the time.  That fascination with RX eye candy stuck with me for 30 years, so this receiver line stayed on my bucket list, more for the lights than the also cool "suck face". The RX-102 was the first RX I heard, loved it so much that I was thrilled when I could get a RX-103.  While I really love the pretty pretty lights, I have I am embarrassed a bit to admit I also have an affinity for the "suck face" too, but truly the lights have "it."

"Suck Face"
Does the RX line need to sound good when it looks so good?  No, it doesn't, it looks so good to me, that I would leave it in my line up just to look at it, well, maybe, but fortunately there is more to the RX line than its pretty face.  Yes, I am a sucker for a pretty face, but before you judge me harshly for my shallowness, or dismiss the RX line as just another pretty face, please "hear me out".

I still enjoy my Luxman R-1050, but this review is for the RX-103.  
I listened to CD's for this review on my NAD 5330 CD playerBraun L1030 speakers, and Monster 12 Gage speaker cables terminated and Monster interconnects.

I listened mostly to Supertramp's "Crime of the century" an A&M Records release on CD, for this review.  Also listened to a number of DEVO CD's, and a few of EMI's classical releases.  I hope to review the phono section of the RX-103 later when I have re-calibrated my turntable.

Wow, I have fulfilled another of my life goals!  Really!  Some splainin' first.

Back in 1981, my high school biology class took a field trip to Lake Tahoe and surrounding eco-systems.  On the way up Hwy 80 we stopped in Truckee or maybe Colfax, and while classmates were eating lunch I walked over to an audio shop. The shop had a nice sound room and when the proprietor asked if I would like to hear something, of course I said yes, so he put on a MFSL LP of Supertramp's "Crime of the Century."   The speakers were Braun L1030's powered by a Phillips Amp and Preamp, and either a Linn or SOTA turntable but not quite able to recall which.  But what I was sure about was the musical memory derived from that experience, and it was a life goal to reproduce that again.

We have arrived!  I have the Brauns now, and instead of the sedate Phillips duo I have the spirited Luxman RX-103.  I wish I had a Linn or SOTA, but for now, I have the NAD 5330 and the A&M CD release of Supertramp's Crime of the Centrury.  Such a deal!  The RX-103 had been warming up with classical music, and some 80's country albums while I went about my various activities.  When I was ready for serious listening, I put in Supertramp, turned it up, cued track two, and quickly assumed the listening position.

Bloody well right!  Wow!  The dynamics, solid attack, and musical punch put a big smile on my face.  The music was clear, it was spatial, the band was there, they arrived and set up in my living room, each where they belonged.  The sound stage wrapped widely around me.  The lead voice originated about 5 feet high front and center.  Despite considerable volume approaching the level of harmful, it just made my smile bigger... I was having a nostalgic flashback.  And it felt good.  I was there in that sound room, 35 years ago in Truckee.  Another life goal well met.

I listened to the whole album, and played much of it again, then I listened to 3 DEVO albums at embarrassingly loud volume levels.  It was glorious.  I had to ask myself, "but will classical sound good too?"  It did, in fact, the classical discs sounded better than I expected, melodic, cheerfully warm, and fully dynamic. This is the way it is supposed to be.  High highs, low lows, and a fabulous mid range.  Luxman anticipated the New Wave of  musical needs for the 80's and beyond, loving it.
Now I have to find a remote for the receiver, yes, it can be remote controlled.

I might try other speakers, but for now, the Braun's with this receiver are what I was looking for.